Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Oat Fudge Bars

I'm certain that Starbucks made Oat Fudge Bars with me in mind.  They are my absolute favourite.  I decided it was high time to figure out a better option for this oat-fudgy obsession. Here's what we've come up with (I say we because there have been many batches and my older daughters have all weighed in and helped as we tweaked our recipe.)




I just want to clarify, oats are not a staple around here.  My philosophy when it comes to food is always changing as I learn.  I feel it is important to come up with exciting options that will deter us from choosing the really bad stuff.  When I make these Oat Fudge Bars I use organic, GMO free oats, pure organic maple syrup, and other ingredients that I have carefully selected.  I believe this is a better option for a special treat than driving through and "splurging" on the real thing... Get my drift?






OAT FUDGE BARS

ingredients:

base:
-2 bananas, mashed really well
-4 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
-2 eggs
-4 Tbsp maple syrup
-1/2 tsp salt
-2 1/2 c .organic oats
-1 c. oat bran
-1 c. spelt flour
-1/2 c. ground flax seeds (I like the golden ones)
-1/2 c. shredded unsweetened coconut

(this mixture can vary so get creative with what you have, you may like more flour and less oats or you may want to substitute the oat bran with more coconut...you can get away with many varieties here.)

fudge:
-1 1/2 c. chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life, if you have a chocolate that you like that is in bar form, you can use that by just chopping it up)
-1 c. coconut milk

steps:
-preheat oven to 350
-mash the bananas really well
-add oil, eggs, syrup and salt and mix well.
-combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl
-add dry ingredients to wet until mixed
-press this mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 and an 8x8 (I have a big crew, you may have lots of leftovers!   They freeze really well:)
-in a double boiler, warm up the coconut milk.
-add chocolate and stir until it makes a chocolately, fudgy sauce.
-pour the chocolate mixture on top of the oat base
-bake for 10-15 minutes
-i like to let these cool completely before we eat them but my family usually has other ideas.  If you have self control, you can let them cool in the fridge for an hour or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment