Pages

Monday, April 21, 2014

Pesto Feta Turkey Burgers

When Caitlyn, my 5th baby was born, my friend Denise brought turkey burgers.  I never forgot that meal.  I craved it actually.  I asked her for the recipe so I could enjoy them again.  This is basically her recipe, it may have changed a little bit over the years.  These turkey burgers are now a staple meal at our house.


The ingredients are simple but really flavourful when added together.


Really, that's all you do, throw them together and fry them up.


On this day, I served the turkey burgers two-bite sized by themselves as an appetizer.  Sometimes we eat them in lettuce wraps, sometimes they are an addition to a big salad.  Every once in a while we eat them with a bun.  When we first started taking grains out of our diet, I could not imagine how a burger could be enjoyable without a bun.  It is funny how your tastes change as you modify your eating habits.  We don't really miss the bun part of burgers anymore.


PESTO FETA SPINACH TURKEY BURGERS

Ingredients:

-2 pounds ground turkey
-1 cup chopped spinach
-1/2 cup feta cheese
-1/2 cup pesto sauce
-1 tsp. salt
-1 tsp. garlic powder
-1 tsp pepper
-1 Tbsp coconut oil

Steps:

-combine all ingredients in a large bowl
-heat coconut oil in a pan on medium-high heat.
-I like to use a scoop to create even "scoops" of the mixture, and put them in the pan.  Use a fork to flatten them out to a 1/2-1/4 inch thick. (the old fashioned way of using your hands to make patties works too but my way keeps my hands clean:)
-you can add more seasoning at this point if you choose.
-when cooked though, flip burgers to brown the second side.


No comments:

Post a Comment